Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Peter Times Three


Peter times three

This past Monday, the day after Resurrection Day, I was reading in John, chapter 21 about the days following Jesus’ resurrection.  On this particular day, Peter and six others are out fishing for the night and caught nothing.  This stranger shows up on the shore and asks “Haven’t you any fish?”  He tells them to try the other side of the boat and they catch a lot of fish.  They realize that it’s Jesus.  Peter jumps in the water, hurrying to shore while the rest follow in the boats.  They all had some fish and were talking:

John 21:15-19 (NIV)

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

Three times Jesus asked Peter “Do you love me?” I believe that Jesus was asking three times because of Peter’s three denials on the night of Jesus’ arrest (John 18: 15-18; 25-27).  Jesus was wanting Peter to really think about the cost of his answers.  He was ready to defend Jesus to the death and a few hours later he denies that he knows Jesus.
Aren't we all like that?  We say we are Christians.  We go to church and do church things.  But, when it comes down to it, we deny Him and act just like everyone else.  Why do you think we are called hypocrites?  Jesus wants to know if we love Him and if we do we will care for each other.  In John 13: 34-35 Jesus states:  "A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will that you are my disciples, if you love one another."


Do you love Jesus? 

May God bless you.

Pastor Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment