Monday, December 7, 2009

Are you a Star?


When I was young, one of my personal Christmas traditions was to go out side late on Christmas Eve and look for the star that guided the Magi to Jesus. I would try to figure out which star it was. I would spend time thinking about it was like on the night of His birth. I think about the fact that He was born to die for my sins (everyone who believed). I would sing then Happy Birthday to Him.

  • Matthew 2:1-2 (New International Version)

    The Visit of the Magi
    1After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi[a] from the east came to Jerusalem 2and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east[b] and have come to worship him."
I would try to figure out which star it was. I would spend time thinking about it was like on the night of His birth. I think about the fact that He was born to die for my sins (everyone who believed). I would sing then Happy Birthday to Him.

Even though we know Jesus wasn't really born on December 25 and the star was a one time event, I still do it. There are those who would argue about what the date really was and that it's wrong to celebrate it on that date. To be honest nobody really knows the exact date and it really doesn't matter.


I was re-reading the biblical accounts of Jesus' birth and God revealed to me that the star was not just a one time event. You see the star was there to signify the birth of our king and savior as well as to lead people to Him. Now, all Christians are that star. Wow! I never saw it that way before and I have read it many times.



  • Matthew 5:14 (New International Version)

    14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.



  • Ephesians 5:7-9 (New International Version)
    7Therefore do not be partners with them.

    8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)


By being that light it is our responsibility, as commanded by Jesus, to light the way for others to Christ, just as the star did back then.




  • Matthew 28:19-20 (New International Version)

    The Great Commission
    19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."




Remember our sun is a star and look how it lights the world. So this Chistmas and every day go out and be the star Jesus intended you to be and help God make new stars.



Have a very blessed Christmas!



Steve



No comments:

Post a Comment